Manager, Data & Analytics
VARSITY SPIRIT, A VARSITY BRANDS COMPANY - THE DRIVING FORCE IN SPIRIT ACROSS CHEER, DANCE AND BAND
For over 50 years, Varsity Spirit has been the leading global source for all things spirit, including cheerleading, dance team and performing arts. Focused on safety, entertainment and traditional school leadership, Varsity Spirit’s 5,000+ employees are dedicated to celebrating school spirit. A leader in apparel innovation, educational camps, clinics, and competitions, Varsity Spirit impacts more than a million athletes each year.
Who We Are
Founded in 1974, Varsity Spirit is the leading provider of cheerleading and dance team uniforms, training camps, and competitions around the world. The company has been the driving force behind cheerleading’s dynamic transformation into the high-energy, athletic activity it is today. Each year, Varsity Spirit teaches over 350,000 cheerleaders and dancers at summer training camps in all 50 states. The Company reaches 500K spirit leaders through competitions and produces over 1 million custom uniforms annually. Varsity Spirit’s sales reps cover the 34,000 high schools in America. Headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, Varsity Spirit is a division of Varsity Brands, whose other division includes BSN SPORTS (based in Dallas).
What We’re Looking For
We are expanding our data and analytics team and are looking for a leader to work with the IT Management team and the existing data team to build enterprise class data solutions, and lead projects for Reporting Applications and Business Intelligence initiatives.
You will plan, coordinate, and supervise administration and development activities related to Data and Business Intelligence platforms. This position will be responsible for the full development cycle of new requests from evaluating design, building functionalities and visualizations, UAT, and QA on final outputs. Working with business leaders, you will apply data analysis and business development skills to identify data opportunities, then work collaboratively to build the story around the data initiative to influence and implement decisions. To be successful you will be the credible interface between the Analytics team and business partners.
You will help us deliver products to our employees and customers, not just features. You will not do this alone. You will partner with a team consisting of business analysts, project managers, software architects, DBAs, and business partners to define and build great solutions. You will mentor junior team members providing learning and growth opportunities through real day to day work
- Lead teams to design, develop, and maintain enterprise data lakes, data warehouses, ETL processes, and data analytics solutions
- Draw upon Business Intelligence features to design, develop, enhance, and support complex, interactive dashboards, scorecards, reports and data insights
- Lead teams to design data schemas, data extracts, automated data flows that lead to and enable enterprise class data and analytics solutions
- Oversee Unit Testing, facilitate User Acceptance Testing and implement production deployment activities
- Lead role-level security control, monitor report usage and performance, and implement governance plan on the BI platform
- Configure Business Intelligence reports and dashboards to optimize the presentation of analytics, and solve BI platform server issues
- Share key discoveries from data findings with business leaders and partners, and provide BI training for users to drive better business outcomes
- Develop, implement, maintain, and document standard procedures (SOPs)
- Create training materials for BI Dashboards and Reports
- Lead a team consisting of internal employees and external contractors
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of relational databases and the SQL Server platform
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and balance importance, and resources
- Translate business needs to technical specifications Internal subject matter expert on Data and Analytics solutions
- Provides support for data and analytics solutions; perform triage on incidents, troubleshoot issues, and resolve while communicating with stakeholders
- Works with technical solution vendors to ensure successful delivery of solutions
- Provides superior customer service while managing relationships with end users, business leaders, and others to ensure service delivery exceeds expectations
- Utilizes sound development life cycle practices, adheres to established processes, and documents delivery of application solutions (including business analysis, design, testing, implementation, support, and decommissioning).
- Performs changes according to process, teamwork, and best practices for IT Change Management, i.e. documents change, facilitates architecture review, plans and schedules change, coordinates with stakeholders, conducts testing, ensures training needs are addressed, and plans for roll-back in the event that roll-back is needed
- Actively supports corporate efforts, policies, and protocols for security, information protection, and threat protection
- Responsible for the proper project hand off from build to run mode ensuring knowledge transfer, documentation, and organizational change management has been adequately completed
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Maintains a customer focus
- Action oriented and works with a sense of urgency
- Passionate about telling stories with data
- Deals effectively with ambiguity
- Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
- Ability to work under stress and manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritizing and communicating throughout
- Demonstrable ability to optimally incorporate metrics and dashboards within technology solutions
- Strong probing and problem-solving skills while using analytical techniques
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to interact with users in clear non-technical terms
- Background in data warehouse design (e.g. dimensional modeling) and data mining In-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework
- Experience with Power BI, SSAS, SSRS, Tabular-based reporting, Tabular Data Models, SQL queries
- Familiarity with cloud services (Azure (preferred), AWS, Google Cloud)
- In-depth understanding of data management (permissions, recovery, security, monitoring)
- Comprehensive grasp of data modeling and data visualization methods
- Solid presentation skills and the ability to present to audiences of 10-15 people
- Deep understanding of Row Level Security in Power BI Experience with enterprise BI solution development using Azure components like Azure functions, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake Must be a team player with strong attention to detail and able to work independently
- Proven track record of delivering timely and accurate results in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, mathematical skills, and sound judgment
- Strong business acumen and ability to interface with non-technical counterparts
- Supervises a team of direct reports with diverse technical skills
- Mentoring and training of other employees
- Personnel management (Hiring, Terminating, Performance Reviews, etc.)
Physical Demands and/or Work Environment
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some general office activities are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, bending, standing, and walking as necessary This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Overnight travel based on business needs, but generally less than 10%
Education, Certification and Experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Math, or Engineering preferred
- 3+ years managing data and analytics technologies in complex environments, with minimum 2 years on PowerBI Dashboards and Tableau development
- 2+ years leading technical teams and driving projects and initiatives
- Experience leading a team providing platform administration and support delivery
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, SQL & SQL Server Expertise with database and data warehouse designs, data modeling, data performance tuning, data integration
- Functional knowledge of GIT or other mainstream source control products
- Experience with scripting languages Python, PowerShell, or DAX a plus Strong understanding of project lifecycle and delivery approaches, e.g. waterfall, agile, etc.
- Experience implementing and supporting operational processes, security, and compliance policies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
JOIN THE BEST TEAM IN SPORT & SPIRIT
At Varsity Brands, we believe every student deserves the opportunity to succeed and every educator wants to make a difference. It takes a team to make a real impact, and through our two divisions – BSN SPORTS and Varsity Spirit – and our network of 6,000+ employees and independent representatives, we are proud to partner with a wide range of educational institutions and club and professional sports to transform the student journey in SPORT and SPIRIT.
Service - We lead with heart. We champion community.
Passion - We love what we do. It fuels our purpose.
Integrity - We do what we promise. We own our actions and decisions.
Respect - We earn it by giving it. Because everyone deserves it.
Innovation - We never stop striving to be better. For ourselves and our community.
Transparency - We are committed to openness and honesty in everything we do.
We are committed to putting you and your families first. For benefits eligible roles, we offer a variety of choices and costs as well as program enhancements that align with our responsibility to elevate the employee experience. Some of our offerings include:
- Comprehensive Health Care Benefits
- HSA Employer Contribution/ FSA Opportunities
- Wellbeing Program
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Company paid Life, AD&D, and Short-Term Disability
- Generous My Time Off & Paid Holidays
- Employee Resource Groups
- St. Jude Partnership & Volunteer Opportunities
- Employee Perks including discounts on personal apparel and equipment!
Varsity Brands companies are equal opportunity employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, age or disability.