Manager, Accounts Receivable
VARSITY SPIRIT, A VARSITY BRANDS COMPANY - THE DRIVING FORCE IN SPIRIT ACROSS CHEER, DANCE AND BAND
For over 50 years, Varsity Spirit has been the leading global source for all things spirit, including cheerleading, dance team and performing arts. Focused on safety, entertainment and traditional school leadership, Varsity Spirit’s 5,000+ employees are dedicated to celebrating school spirit. A leader in apparel innovation, educational camps, clinics, and competitions, Varsity Spirit impacts more than a million athletes each year.
The Manager, Accounts Receivable serves as a key leader on the Finance team, ensuring that systems and processes are in place and functioning to ensure that sales activity is accurately recorded, credit & collection procedures ensure that AR balances are appropriately updated, disputes are researched and resolved, and management reporting is executed timely, as it pertains to the company’s receivables.
This leader oversees a team of fourteen people and will have significant responsibilities for both development of reports, as well as execution of regular reporting responsibilities and initiatives. These include but are not limited to:
- Monitoring of AR activity to ensure timely preparation and posting of invoices and collections.
- Ensuring that customer disputes are resolved in accordance with policy and sound business practice. Developing monitoring / reporting to track activity.
- Monitoring of significant past-due activity. Partnering with Sales to create workable collection plans, identify and address root causes of disputes, and handle any corresponding accounting issues.
- Prepare reserve estimates, as well as other regular analyses, and ad hoc analyses to address A/R related issues.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports, required to support the company’s Asset Backed Loan (ABL) requirements. Correspond with Treasury, and other Finance team members to ensure overall compliance with ABL commitments.
- Drive continuous improvement in company processes, including creating plans to absorb, centralize, standardize activities, and make best use of new tools and capabilities across the enterprise.
- Create and lead process documentation efforts in the AR area, required for future SOX compliance activity.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork to assist Sales in managing customer relationships. Ensure that A/R personnel are handling credit and collection activity can achieve company objectives.
- Assist in analyzing and managing system issues, and coordinating changes in procedures, practices, and tools as the company transitions from a set of legacy systems to integrated SAP driven platforms. This will include participating in design requirements for future Order Management systems, as well as understanding existing AR management tools.
Additional Job Functions
- Provide leadership and direction to the entire Accounts Receivable team that drives customer experience to exceed business objectives.
- Manage, motivate and retain Accounts Receivable team
- Lead Hiring and Onboarding of Accounts Receivable team in accordance with required compliance
- Management of team’s performance to consistently encourage retention, growth and productivity
- Collaborate with the Cash Applications and AR Collections Supervisors to evaluate and conduct annual performance evaluations of team members
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Ability to Coach personnel, including direct reports, as well as sales personnel, to ensure that we are continually improving the performance of company receivables, while improving customer relationships. Must be tough on issues and easy on the people. Advanced Microsoft Excel skill sets are required. This person must be self-sufficient in analyzing data and developing reports. Knowledge of SAP R3 environment is preferred. The company is moving to this platform, and some experience with this tool is highly desirable. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact easily across functions, including IT, Finance, Sales, Marketing, and Operations, as well as a variety of external customers. Strong analytic skills. This person must help us drive toward data-based analytics that can improve our overall cash performance. Organizational skills. Planning and organizing team activities to meet demands of a highly seasonal business. Interpersonal acumen. Varsity’s customers are highly varied. They include schools, universities, private clubs, not-for-profit entities, as well as individual consumers. The businesses creating Accounts Receivable activity vary as well in their needs, interfaces, and challenges. The individual in this role must show flexibility to meet the needs and drive results.
This manager will oversee two supervisors directly and lead an overall team of 14 direct and indirect reports.
Physical Demands and/or Work Environment
This job operates in a professional office environment. Largely a sedentary role with some filing requiring the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bending or standing on a stool as necessary.
Travel requirements are limited, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected. This may include attending events at various locations, visiting other Varsity Brands locations or offices for meetings or customer / vendor visits required to meet business objectives or gain business familiarity.
Education, Certification and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in fields of Finance or Accounting preferred or equivalent in relevant work experience. Minimum of six years’ experience in Accounts Receivable / Credit & Collections. Knowledge of SAP strongly preferred. Previous experience in navigating system conversions would be a plus. Advance Microsoft Office Excel skill required. Knowledge of Power-BI, other reporting tools, and other Microsoft platforms (PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) is desirable.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This leader is a key member of the Finance team and may be called upon to engage in other responsibilities or initiatives that fit their skill set or influence their area of responsibility.
JOIN THE BEST TEAM ON THE FIELD IN SPORT, SPIRIT & ACHIEVEMENT
At Varsity Brands, we believe every student deserves the opportunity to succeed and every educator wants to make a difference. It takes a team to make a real impact, and through our three distinct brands – BSN SPORTS, Varsity Spirit and Herff Jones – and our network of 9,000+ employees and independent representatives, we are proud to partner with schools, colleges and universities across the country to transform the student journey in SPORT, SPIRIT and ACHIEVEMENT.
Service - We lead with heart. We champion community.
Passion - We love what we do. It fuels our purpose.
Integrity - We do what we promise. We own our actions and decisions.
Respect - We earn it by giving it. Because everyone deserves it.
Innovation - We never stop striving to be better. For ourselves and our community.
Transparency - We are committed to openness and honesty in everything we do.
We are committed to putting you and your families first. For benefits eligible roles, we offer a variety of choices and costs as well as program enhancements that align with our responsibility to elevate the employee experience. Some of our offerings include:
- Comprehensive Health Care Benefits
- HSA Employer Contribution/ FSA Opportunities
- Wellbeing Program
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Company paid Life, AD&D, and Short-Term Disability
- Generous My Time Off & Paid Holidays
- Employee Resource Groups
- St. Jude Partnership & Volunteer Opportunities
- Employee Perks including discounts on personal apparel and equipment!
Varsity Brands companies are equal opportunity employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, age or disability.