Intern Engineer - 2522
Barnhart Crane & Rigging Co
Memphis, TN(Service Center)
PURPOSE – Barnhart is built on a strong foundation of serving others. The fruit of our labor is used to grow the company, care for our employees, and serve those in our communities and around the world.
MINDS OVER MATTER – Barnhart has built a nationwide reputation for solving problems. We specialize in the lifting, heavy-rigging, and heavy transport of major components used in American industry.
NETWORK – Barnhart has built teams that form one of our industry’s strongest networks of talent and resources with over 50 branch locations across the U.S. working together to serve our customers. This growing network offers our team members constant opportunity for career growth and professional development.
CULTURE – Barnhart has a strong team culture -- the “One TEAM.” We are looking for smart, hard-working people who strive for excellence in their work and appreciate collaboration. Join a team that values Safety, Servant Leadership, Quality Service, Innovation, Continuous Improvement, Fairness, and Profit with a Purpose.
Objective: To learn the inner workings of Barnhart (culture, people, equipment, processes) and provide support to Barnhart Engineering team through CAD modeling, field support, and general problem solving.
Responsibilities and Principal Duties:
- Assist Barnhart Engineering team in creating innovative heavy-lift/heavy-transport solutions.
- Work as directed by Manager to support Barnhart Engineers in completion of assigned tasks and required deliverables. Work includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- AutoCAD/Inventor modeling.
- Equipment layout drawings.
- Basic Steel design and calculations.
- Initiatives that aid in engineering process and proposal creation (ex: reference charts, Excel templates, etc.).
- Regular and clear communication with Manager and other Barnhart team members.
- Local field support as needed.
- Work and act in a way consistent with the company Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Develop understanding of all facets of the heavy rigging and transportation industry including:
- Equipment Knowledge – Working knowledge of Barnhart equipment, load charts, features, operational best practices, and industry standard rigging equipment (ex: shackles, slings, spreader bars, etc).
- People knowledge – Must be familiar with skills and qualifications of Branch Personnel matching those to the required job.
Education: High School Diploma and pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering discipline from ABET accredited institution.
Experience: Prefer experience in construction industry.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team.
- Must work safely in a fast-paced environment - many times under pressure.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Mechanical aptitude preferred.
- Able to troubleshoot equipment problems and quickly determine corrective actions.
- Creative thinking skills to make continuous improvements.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Ability to confront people when needed and become a leader through example.
- AutoCAD and solid modeling experience preferred but not required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Flexibility to work long hours as needed, some weekend work required.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to travel as needed and engage with the Barnhart culture in support of opportunity and project-based efforts.
Work Environment: Barnhart Service Center, Barnhart equipment storage yard, project field locations.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. The above statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the incumbent in this position. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.